PDA

Voir la version complète : I need help hooking up my battery.

fizzer
10/03/2003, 17h21
First off so noone thinks I am a complete idiot I am a new rider and this is going to be my second season season riding.

I wanted to hook up the battery and let the bike run for a few minutes. I hooked up the positive first with another wire (wich I dont remember if it was supposed to go the positive or negative terminal), and then the negative. The battery terminal made a couple of sparks and smoke started to come from that other wire that I had hooked up to the positive.
I pulled it off right away and there doesnt seem to be any damage. My question is about that third wire. Where does it go ? What is it ?
Theres a positive, a negative and that third wire.

Please help.

SRAD750-R
10/03/2003, 18h13
Hmmmm...it all depends on the color of the wire . If its red then its positive...black then its negative . Usually thought the wire follows the one it was with...meaning that if it was with the positve it will be the same length and bends as the positive wire...I hope it helps...it seems clear to me however its in my head so it may not be clear for you :-?

SpeedAddict
10/03/2003, 22h16
I'm sure it's the "case" ground ... usually ties up to the frame somewhere ... but I have never change the battery yet soo... let's see what others have to say :lol:

fizzer
10/03/2003, 23h21
Srad, that "third" wire is blue. I got the red and black wires figured out its the blue one thats the problem.

If anyone sees 3 wires connected to their battery please help me out.

I am hoping I didnt fry anything, I am going to go back (where I store my bike) and try it on the negative terminal.

Speed, if it is the ground wire then it should go to the negative terminal, right ? :-?

bigboy12r
11/03/2003, 10h03
Speed, if it is the ground wire then it should go to the negative terminal, right ? :-?

I think the blue wire is the "case" ground as well (same comment as speedaddict)

Red and black connect on the battery terminals, and the 3rd wire should connect to the frame, or the battery casing bolt (connected to the frame)

Again, it's difficult to determine when we can't see it from here.

SRAD750-R
11/03/2003, 14h44
If you have a digital camera take a picture and show it to us :D

SpeedAddict
11/03/2003, 17h52
If it'S blue than i'm even more certain that it's the case ground ... and yes it should be ok to connect it to the ground ... but if you find a screw nearby it's even better ... avoids taking shock to yourself, which can be quite usefull when batteries deliver a few ampere (as low as 1amp can kill) :P

Paul750
11/03/2003, 22h16
Try to find an FZR discussion board on the net, or even better buy yourself a copy of a shop manual for your bike. I recommend Haynes if available: it is very well done. I do my own maintenance, but I wouldn't do anything on a bike without having a shop manual, for the sake of not screwing up something.

smokingchick
11/03/2003, 23h48
If it'S blue than i'm even more certain that it's the case ground ... and yes it should be ok to connect it to the ground ... but if you find a screw nearby it's even better ... avoids taking shock to yourself, which can be quite usefull when batteries deliver a few ampere (as low as 1amp can kill) :P

That's what I think to :) the blue might suppose to be connected to the frame...but try to check in the manuel.
Red= pos
Bk= neg

Gee
12/03/2003, 01h54
DONT CUT THE BLUE WIRE !!!!!! BOOM :lol: :lol: :D

SRAD750-R
12/03/2003, 11h38
DONT CUT THE BLUE WIRE !!!!!! BOOM :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

fizzer
12/03/2003, 12h54
I do have the Haynes manual and its very helpfull but as many times as I've read it this mystery wire is not mentioned anywhere.

When I took out the battery last year I remember it being on one of the two terminals. (I just dont remember which one )

I took a picture of it that I am going to try to attach to this reply.

On second thought I cant find a way to attach the picture. :-?

SpeedAddict
12/03/2003, 23h24
your pic has to be hosted on a website to be posted here !